House, 8 August
Flats in Budapest – what should tenants check before renting a flat
If you’re looking for flats in Budapest to rent and you don’t know the real estate market in Hungary, then you might have a couple of questions on how to start your search.
There are several websites where you can find listings of flats for rent in Budapest, with rental prices starting at around 350 euro per month + bills, if the location is within the central areas of the city. The problem is that if you’re not in the city, then it’s not always easy to find a rentals agency or a landlord which you can trust with signing the rental agreement from afar, or the flats might look different in reality than in the photos, so when renting a flat online, it’s very important to ask the right questions and to make sure you get all the information you need from the agency or from the landlord.
The most important 5 questions to ask before renting a flat:
- How much is the deposit for the flat, and when will you get it back?
- How much are the monthly common costs (the building’s fee) and what does it cover exactly? for example, does it include water or heating usage?
- What are the estimated overhead utility charges? (internet, electricity, etc.)
- What type of heating system does the apartment have? (does it have an individual heating or is there a central heating system for building, which might make the utilities costs higher)
- In case you have a pet, make sure to inquire if pets are allowed in the flat.
Other important matters to consider are the location of the flat and its proximity to public transportation – make sure it is close to at least one metro line or to a tram/bus line which takes you to work or the university. Flats in Budapest for rent in the more central parts of the city are of course more expensive, but on the other hand, they are more accessible by night when you’re back late from a party, so you won’t need to spend money on taxis or loose a lot of time on night busses.
Remember, offered flats in Budapest are almost always fully furnished by the landlords and are available for new tenants to move in with just their suitcase, just make sure before you sing on the rental agreement to double check all the required furniture and electrical appliances are present and working properly.
Sign Up latest blog post